Improve transportation sustainability, safety, and accessibility through enhanced understanding of the energy and environmental implications of emerging transportation systems and their interdependencies with other critical infrastructures.
- Provide the analysis towards improving mobility as an intermediate service and identify the ideal shared mobility by investigating the implications imposed by proximity and connectivity.
- Quantify the energy impact of connected and automated vehicles at the vehicle, corridor, regional, and national level for multiple scenarios and technologies.
- Integrate models of vehicle and fuel technologies with consumer preferences to understand the impact of individual and market behavior on future transportation systems, policies, and vice versa.
- Identify vehicle-to-vehicle and vehicle-to-infrastructure communication and data analysis strategies that can increase traffic safety and reduce congestion.
- Characterize approaches that minimize intermodal transfer barriers for passengers and freight with traditional and emerging modes of transportations.